October: The Season of Rodents
It’s Rodent Awareness Week, meaning it’s the perfect time to learn how to keep rats and mice out of your property. In addition to causing damage from their gnawing and nesting habits, rodents carry a number of diseases and cause contamination with their urine and droppings. For these reasons alone, it’s important to learn how to keep rodents out of your business or property. Especially in the fall, rats and mice move indoors to escape the dropping temperatures outside. Keep reading to learn Isotech’s top tips for rodent exclusion and prevention this October and all year long.
4 Steps to Rodent-Proof Your Property
Rodents aren’t just gross; they can cause structural damage and spread disease. When you get a rodent infestation, you are risking the health and safety of not just your building but anyone inside of it as well! The best way to avoid the frustration and danger of an infestation is to exclude rodents from your property. Four main ways you can do that include:
- Inspect your property. Look for any gaps, holes, or cracks in your windows and doors, and seal them properly to avoid letting rats and mice inside.
- Install tight-fitting screens. When placed in your windowsills, doors, chimneys, and vents, screens can keep rats and mice outside!
- Routinely clean your building. Rodents love clutter and debris, and will make use of messy areas to nest.
- Keep landscape tidy and trimmed. Overgrown lawns, shrubs, and trees are a haven for rats. Many are great climbers and will climb trees to access roof lines.
Signs of Rats and Mice
Another important step to avoid rodent infestations is to know the early signs that you may already have a problem. Rats and mice aren’t exactly stealthy creatures, and make their presence known in various ways. The typical indicators of a rodent problem include:
- Rat droppings
- Gnaw marks
- Chewed-through wires
- Nests or nesting materials
- Burrows or tunnels
- Runways or tracks
- A foul odor caused by their urine or feces
The Importance of Rodent Exclusion
If you’ve already noticed the signs of rats or mice in your home, it’s time to call a professional. The best form of rodent control is exclusion, and a professional pest control company such as Isotech can expertly implement exclusion techniques throughout your property. By keeping rats and mice outside, you can avoid the possible danger of an infestation indoors.
October: The Season of Rodents in Los Angeles
Serving the Los Angeles Metro Area