Ant Prevention 101
Every year as the weather gets warmer in the Los Angeles CA area, ant problems return. Higher temperatures encourage worker ants to leave their nests after overwintering in search of food, which means this is the time of year you’ll likely start to see more ants in your property. To avoid an ant infestation, it’s important to implement ant prevention methods into your maintenance routine. Once an ant problem begins, it can be difficult to get under control. Keep reading for ant prevention tips from the experts here at Isotech Pest Management!
Why Do You Have Ants?
Like most pests, ants are always in the search for food and water. This means they are regularly seeking out crumbs and sources of moisture in properties. Kitchens and food facilities are particularly vulnerable, as these are where crumbs can pile up and leaky faucets can cause moisture problems. Sinks and cabinets are also hot spots for attracting ants. These pesky pests often make their way indoors through cracks and crevices, and are drawn to any property that will provide food and water.
8 Ant Prevention Tips
Following information from the National Pest Management Association (NPMA), we’ve compiled a list of the best ant prevention tips for property owners. Implementing these can help lessen the risk of getting an ant infestation in your property:
- Inspect your property and seal any cracks or crevices using a silicone-based caulk.
- Keep any pet food bowls clean and always clean up messes made. Pick pet bowls up off the floor after meals.
- Ensure downspouts and gutters are all functioning properly so that water is flowing away from the foundation.
- Regularly check under sinks for excess moisture problems and repair leaky pipes promptly.
- Trim trees and shrubbery in your yard to be at least 6 inches away from the property.
- Wipe down any counter tops and sweep floors regularly to clean up spills and remove crumbs.
- Store food (including pet food) in airtight containers and refrigerate ripe fruit.
- Dispose of garbage on a regular basis and use trash cans with a tight-fitting lid.
Help with Ant Prevention
Keeping ants out is no job for an amateur. If you’ve ever dealt with an ant problem you know how difficult they are to control without the help of a professional pest control expert. The ant exterminators at Isotech can help implement ant prevention measures to keep you ant-free all year long. Contact us today to learn how!
Ant Prevention 101 in Los Angeles
Serving the Los Angeles Metro Area